Work Experience is part and parcel of the schools’ educational curriculum where learners get to have a taste of the world of work, especially for the first time. It’s the short-term placement of high school students with an employer so as to provide an insight into the workplace and industry, in which they are found. Learners are placed within the organization mainly to observe and learn but not to carry out activities which need extensive expertise or training.
Types of work experience
Work experience comes in different forms. Since it’s often unpaid for, certain kinds of work experience may end up in you receiving small compensations for your effort and time. It may be a cadetship, a volunteer job, an internship or a working replacement. Besides, it may be for a few days, weeks or even, longer. The duration of time will, however, depend on the administration and structure of the work experience.
The majority of high school students do structured work replacement or work experience as part and parcel of their study. University students frequently do internships or work vocational placements, to gain experience as a regular part of their course.
Benefits of Work experience for high school students
Work experience can provide the learner with the following:
• Knowledge of what the job involves
• Supervised and structured hands-on experience
• Occupational skills which would be highly recognized in other work areas
• Confidence in the ability to learn as well as master new tasks and skills
• Work–life skills, like working in teams or communicating well
• An opportunity to demonstrate on how you can aid in any given work environment
• A good understanding of the work
• A chance to show reliability and commitment
• A referee to add on to your resume
• An employment opportunity.
Getting the most from your work experience.
If you are offered a chance to undertake work experience, you should make the time worthwhile
However, you should consider three things which are discussed below.
1. Ask many questions. Through asking questions, you show that you are curious to learn, and also you have genuine interests in a role and opportunity.
2. Try to find all you can about the work, industry and also about career paths of the people. Work experience is a good way to determine if you are well suited to a given job. The experience gives you real world opportunity to try out an occupation.
3. Always keep a diary to record your work experiences and also to list skills that you learn after practicing. However, you can add these to your career portfolio if you maintain one for that matter.